Heavy lifting with interfaces

Once I touched the interfaces subject it seems the time it was sufficient to change a syntax a bit to make some progress passed away — this weekend I finished overloading, next time I plan to tackle overriding.

I barely had time to make minor adjustments:

  • interface name has to start with capital letter “I” (it is a requirement, not a convention),
  • the root type in Skila is “IObject”,
  • there is multiple type inheritance (one class + multiple interfaces),
  • I reversed and shortened Ruby syntax for mutators — “x!ChangeMe()” instead “x.ChangeMe!()”,
  • and I made “Void” result type optional when declaring or defining a function — so it is more like Pascal procedure.

Once I deal with interfaces I have to redo almost entire backend — so far I relied on PHP classes but I think this won’t pay off. First of all PHP has only virtual methods, so it is a dead end for me no matter how I look at it. The second reason is JavaScript — its object model is so different, that sooner or later I would have to find common denominator among backend languages to save my time. I think I should be safe with using just structures, standalone functions and custom dispatcher.

Tagged , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: